Join a small team developing SIKU, the Indigenous Knowledge Social Network, helping facilitate self-determination for Indigenous communities in Canada and beyond.
You will be responsible for maintenance, migrations and feature development for the SIKU backend technology stack. This includes migrating WordPress installations to new droplets, upgrading backend frameworks (eg. PHP, Ubuntu) to the latest version, fixing bugs and responding to other organizational needs as they arise.
- 3+ years experience with MySQL and PHP.
- Is able to create custom plugins and themes in WordPress.
- Knowledgeable of Digital Ocean and droplet management.
- Experienced with Linux server management and bash shell scripting.
- Understanding of common transfer utilities such as scp, rsync, deployer, etc.* Proficient with git and version control.* Comfortable working in a Docker-based development environment.
- Well adapted to an agile working environment where iteration and addressing feedback is at the core of getting things done.
- High level of reading, writing and speaking in English and be eligible to work in Canada
Good to have
- Familiarity with the Atlassian Suite (Bitbucket, Jira, Confluence).
- Experience with Kubernetes and API gateways would be a plus
- Have worked with CI/CD pipelines.
- Type: Contract
- Location: Remote/Work-from-home. The Arctic Eider Society is based in Sanikiluaq, Nunavut and has over 10 years of experience working as a remote team from coast to coast to coast.
- Hours: 35-40 hours per week
- Duration: Short-term (6 Month) Contract.
- Salary: Between $30-40 /hour, commensurate with experience.
- Inclusion and Diversity: The Arctic Eider Society is a safe space to work and we encourage Indigenous, Black, People Of Colour and people of all genders, sexual identities and disabilities to apply for this position.
SIKU, the Indigenous Knowledge Social Network, is an iOS, Android and web app by and for Indigenous communities that facilitate Indigenous self-determination at scale by providing cutting-edge tools and services for ice safety, language preservation and weather.
About the Arctic Eider Society
The Arctic Eider Society is an Indigenous technology charity based in Sanikiluaq, Nunavut, Canada which facilitates Indigenous-driven solutions for thriving communities. We provide meaningful work, a small team, competitive compensation and flexible work arrangements to facilitate indigenous self-determination at scale.