The Arctic Eider Society is an Indigenous charity based in Sanikiluaq, Nunavut, Canada which facilitates Indigenous-driven solutions for thriving communities. We provide meaningful work, a small team, competitive compensation and flexible work arrangements to facilitate indigenous self-determination at scale.
The Arctic Eider Society is looking for a full-time Visual Designer to join our team working on SIKU: The Indigenous Knowledge Social Network . You would join an existing team consisting of developers, designers, support and outreach coordinators where you would augment existing design capacity contributing to UX, UI and documentation for the SIKU web, iOS and Android apps in addition to other organization-wide design related tasks.
The ideal candidate for this role is a multifaceted, collaborative designer with experience across many different mediums. Clear communication skills with the ability to receive constructive feedback and iterate on your designs are equally important. Like the rest of our team, we are looking for someone who is passionate about pushing the limits of what is technologically possible, empathetic to Indigenous perspectives and embraces constraints as a foundational requirement for effective design.
- Designing UI mockups using strong visual production skills within technical constraints to achieve a balance between effective UX and implementation feasibility while paying great attention to detail
- Preparing documentation for developer handoff
- Recording narration and editing promo videos
- Laying out visually appealing applications, reports and promotional materials
- Using graphic design tools for a variety of tasks such masking images, editing photos, and formating assets
1-3 year of design experience in some of the following areas:
- UX design for mobile and web apps (research, specifications, wireframing, prototyping)
- UI design (Figma, Sketch, Invision…)
- Graphic design and layout (Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, Affinity…)
- Video editing (Final Cut Pro, Premiere Pro…)
Arctic Eider Advantage
- Opportunity to work on cutting edge and meaningful work that supports self-determination for Indigenous peoples in Canada and beyond
- Flexibility to shape the position around existing strengths and desired areas of growth
- Work-at-home with flexible hours
- Close-knit small team approach
- Competitive compensation
- Type: Full-time, Contract
- Hours: 35-40 hours per week
- Duration: Long term contract with the understanding that if there is a good fit the contract would be renewed
- Salary: $25+ per hour (Commensurate with experience)
- Must be eligible to work in Canada
- We greatly encourage Indigenous, Black, and People Of Colour of all genders, sexual identities and disabilities to apply for this position.
This is a work-from-home position. The Arctic Eider Society is based in Sanikiluaq, Nunavut and has over 10 years of experience working as a remote team from coast to coast to coast.
Only eligible applicants will be contacted